Twenty Years of DHC

August 20th, 2009

The Year: 1989

• George H.W. Bush succeeds Ronald Reagan as U.S. President
  • the Soviet war in Afghanistan
  • the Los Angeles city council bans the sale or possession of semiautomatic weapons
  • fatwa on Salman Rushdie for “The Satanic Verses”
  • Time, Inc. and Warner Communications merge to form Time Warner
  • Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (11 million gallons) of oil
  • Rain Man wins Best Picture
  • Charles Keating goes to jail
  • Tiananmen Square
  • Seinfeld premieres
  • France celebrates 200th anniversary of the French Revolution
  • UA flight 282 crashes in Sioux City, IA
  • Nintendo’s GameBoy and Sega’s Genesis are released
  • Lyle and Erik Menendez kill their rich parents
  • Pete Rose is banned from baseball
  • Voyager II passes Neptune and Triton
  • Hurricane Hugo causes $7 billion in damage in South Carolina
  • the World Series is delayed by 10 days following the Loma Prieta earthquake (a 7.1)
  • Douglas Wilder wins the Virginia governor’s race and becomes the first elected African American governor in the United States
  • David Dinkins becomes the first African American mayor of New York City
  • the Berlin Wall begins to be dismantled
  • the Cold War ends
  • The Simpsons premieres

The Dance Hall Crashers form in Berkeley, California.

Who’s got some great DHC memories? 1989, or otherwise?

Entry Filed under: Crashers, General

17 Comments

• 1. Dan W.  |  August 21st, 2009 at 6:58 am

I saw DHC on Lower Sproul Plaza at UC Berkeley, it must have been right around 1989 or so. Usually the band playing the free Wednesday lunchtime concerts wasn’t my thing, but DHC was absolutely CAPTIVATING. Unfortunately I never ended up seeing the crashers at a proper concert after that.

Fast forward 20 years, and DHC is by far my 7-year-old son’s favorite band, and has been for about half of his life. Maybe I’ll be able to take him to see that next concert I’ve been hoping to see….

• 2. Ryan B.  |  August 21st, 2009 at 6:20 pm

I haven’t seen them live, but I fondly remember purchasing a copy of “Lockjaw” after hearing “Queen For a Day” and “Enough”. It was the summer of 2006 and I remember playing the hell out of that CD every damn day. Ever since then, DHC has been one of my favorite bands. “The Old Record” is easily my favorite.

• 3. Bryan R.  |  September 11th, 2009 at 11:35 am

I saw them live at the Nile Theatre in Phoenix,Az, (actually in Tempe) in the late ninetes and they rocked! Why aren’t they on the Warp Tour, If Less than Jake keeps going why can’t you guys? I will understand though if its because you can’t make a living playing music anymore. I realize selling out is only when every seat in the venue is full, hope all is well for all of you… Thanks for the memeories!!!

• 4. roverr  |  September 21st, 2009 at 7:04 pm

i dont know how the f*ck i knew you guys, jojo, but i love your music, you are awesome, i believe you came to Mexico once, in 98′ i think, you played at Circo Volador with Sekta Core but i dont remember well.

You just have to do a gig for your 20 anniversary!!. and come to mexico obviously

by the way, in 1989, the simpsons aired for the very first time on The Tracey Ullman Show, as a short animated cartoon.

• 5. Jeff  |  October 2nd, 2009 at 9:10 am

My First DHC Show was at Slims in San Francisco, CA I think it was Summer of 1998. Rockin good show, lots of great songs including the Scoobie Doo Cover, they were tossing out water bottles and apples to keep everyone hydrated in the tight venue full of moshin’ Fans.

• 6. Anneke  |  October 15th, 2009 at 4:53 am

I wish I have had the opportinity to see you, even once. But I haven’t. So 20 year anniversary tour for sure! Join the Bouncing Souls, come to Europe, come to the Netherlands!

• 7. Drifter05  |  October 28th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Damn, I miss y’all. I saw y’all as in Honolulu in probably 1991, then Mesa or Tempe, AZ in 1994(?). You guys are part of the soundtrack of my life, and I miss you terribly. In this forum, I am just preaching to the choir, but you guys rock harder than anyone I know.

Favorite. Band. Ever.

LtCol P of Marines

• 8. Drifter05  |  October 28th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

20 years? I would come from my beloved TX in an instant for a reunion show.

If you build it, they will come…

• 9. Scott  |  November 12th, 2009 at 8:38 am

I still remember the first time that I heard a DHC song (it was DHC off the Old Record). Saw them for the first time at the Masquerade in Atlanta. What a totally awesome show! Fell in lust with Elyse (probably TMI but she just rocks).

But hey, the Mighty Might Bosstones got back together. Maybe DHC might as well. We can only hope.

• 10. Chris Englert  |  November 30th, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Man you guys have some of the happiest, catchiest, most fun music I have ever heard… unfortunately me I heard it like 10 years too late. If you ever tour again, and you are anywhere near chicago, I AM THERE.

If not…. thanks for the great tunes and bet of luck with everything else!

Love yall.

• 11. E Dawg  |  December 31st, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I first saw DHC back in ‘96 during the Warped Tour, Cal State Dominguez Hills Velodrome to be exact. Awesome show! Saw them again at the world famous Whisky A-Go-Go during the Honey I’m Homely Tour. Best show ever! Hoping you guys will end the hiatus soon and come out with some new songs or better yet a show or two. maybe 2010 marks your return? oh well…

• 12. susan plachta  |  January 20th, 2010 at 6:25 pm

I remember my friend Joey talking about this new band he was in love with…DHC… I remember the bright yellow, charlie brown tape. Saw at slims, house parties in Berkeley, all over the bay area. Java junkie is still my favorite…..

• 13. justin  |  March 18th, 2010 at 5:34 am

Well, as for 89, I was 2… But from what I remember it was a good year.

I just wanted to say I hope you guys decide to end this nonsensical hiatus and do some 2010 shows. I’m from Toronto, but would fly pretty much anywhere to come see you guys play.

• 14. Paul  |  March 22nd, 2010 at 8:48 am

I was born in ‘89.

What a glorious year that was.

• 15. Rob Spencer  |  May 1st, 2010 at 7:59 am

Yeah, what he said. (Justin, up there a bit)

Dust off the gear and get on the road.

I quote Tommy Lee:
    You don’t stop rocking because you get old, you get old because you stop rocking.

• 16. Kristen Fike  |  June 22nd, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I have MANY memories of shows. From the live recordings (DVD (with my “Make Me Purr” sign & CD) to the road trip my other DHC fans when we brought along “Skinhead BBQ” foods to see DHC at Chico State!

• 17. tas  |  July 1st, 2010 at 11:53 am

DHC – we want you back – nuff said.