Posts filed under 'General'
I checked in recently with Gavin to get an update on what the Crashers are up to today. Here’s a quick run-down:
- Gavin has been doing voiceover work professionally for about 12 years now. You can follow him on twitter at @gavinhammon
- Karina is still making records and just released her first solo record titled “Under Glass” that everyone should buy. She’s on twitter at @karinadenike
- Jason is working for a software company in the Bay Area – follow him at @jasonhammon
- Mikey is running a few businesses in Brooklyn (one of which is Mikey’s Hookup: http://mikeyshookup.com)
- Elyse is still working in the business business down in LA on the management/representation end of things
June 28th, 2015
After over a decade of hosting the mailing list at dancehallcrashers.com, a server transition has prompted me to move the remaining subscribers to a new google group at http://groups.google.com/group/dancehallcrashers. The list is unmoderated and open; please feel free to reconnect and share stories about DHC. Thanks!
March 11th, 2011
The Year: 1989
- George H.W. Bush succeeds Ronald Reagan as U.S. President
- the Soviet war in Afghanistan
- the Los Angeles city council bans the sale or possession of semiautomatic weapons
- fatwa on Salman Rushdie for “The Satanic Verses”
- Time, Inc. and Warner Communications merge to form Time Warner
- Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (11 million gallons) of oil
- Rain Man wins Best Picture
- Charles Keating goes to jail
- Tiananmen Square
- Seinfeld premieres
- France celebrates 200th anniversary of the French Revolution
- UA flight 282 crashes in Sioux City, IA
- Nintendo’s GameBoy and Sega’s Genesis are released
- Lyle and Erik Menendez kill their rich parents
- Pete Rose is banned from baseball
- Voyager II passes Neptune and Triton
- Hurricane Hugo causes $7 billion in damage in South Carolina
- the World Series is delayed by 10 days following the Loma Prieta earthquake (a 7.1)
- Douglas Wilder wins the Virginia governor’s race and becomes the first elected African American governor in the United States
- David Dinkins becomes the first African American mayor of New York City
- the Berlin Wall begins to be dismantled
- the Cold War ends
- The Simpsons premieres
The Dance Hall Crashers form in Berkeley, California.
Who’s got some great DHC memories? 1989, or otherwise?
August 20th, 2009
I was going through some boxes this weekend and unearthed a fat box of Dance Hall Crashers paraphaenalia from the Blue Plate Special era. I certainly don’t need 29 identical posters so I’ve put a crazy auction up on Ebay that includes:
- 18″x18″ Blue Plate Special Poster
- 4-page Blue Plate Special “Menu” (flyer)
- First 20 people to pay after the auction closes get a sticker
- Free USPS priority mail shipping in the US with a poster tube
All that for $10, shipped!
Now here’s the bonus. Everyone who buys one (I have 29 of these “packages” for sale) will be entered into a drawing for an autographed copy of the Blue Plate Special CD, signed by all 5 members of the band! There is only one of these CDs, so no guarantees, but your odds are pretty good at 1 in 29.
Read the auction for more details and pics. Happy bidding!
Update Aug 10th – Bidding is complete and 29 lucky winners have finished the auction. I will be out of town this weekend and will let people finish sending in their paypals/etc. I will ship Monday or Tuesday and post a note here when I do.
Update Aug 20th – All of the goods have been shipped and I’m happy to announce the winner of the CD auction is Simon Rhodes from Australia! He’ll be receiving his autographed CD in the mail soon. Thanks again to everyone who bid and to Julie and James for their patience and understanding.
Thanks for bidding!
August 2nd, 2006
I dug out a handful of concert posters from my hard drive and google and other sources. They represent about %0.001 of all DHC shows since 1989. If you’ve got a poster to submit, please send me a picture to controller -at- dancehallcrashers -dot- com and I’ll get it added. Thanks!
June 18th, 2006
John, a friend of the band who works at an ad agency here in San Francisco, graciously redesigned the site a couple of months ago. Lack of time on my part has prevented me from getting the new look up and online. I’m hoping this weekend is it… bear with me if the site is horribly, horribly broken as we go through some testing.
UPDATE – so the new design is mostly in place. It’s not yet perfect, and we have a neat jukebox we’ll be adding shortly. Bear with us while we get all of our ducks in a row.
UPDATE 2 – To encourage participation, I’m happy to report that you no longer need to register in order to leave a comment. I’ve enabled some anti-spam measures and assuming they work, commenting will be open to everyone. So try it – leave a comment!
May 12th, 2006
We (the website people, not the band) have been hard at work on the discography, getting it in the right order and adding all of those crazy old and rare albums we can find info about. Big thanks to Ryan Kelley who after years and years is still a great guy willing to help out. Also a big thanks goes to Jeremy Patton who gave Ryan the oldest known DHC release, “Say Cheese“. More coming soon…
May 5th, 2006